16 Bean Protein Salad w/ Homemade Seasoned Tortilla Chips
This 16-bean salad packs a hefty nutritional punch full of fiber is high in protein and is low in fat!
* Pinto bean, small red bean, pink bean, red kidney bean, great northern bean, large lima, baby lima, black eyes, small white beans, black beans, green peas, yellow split peas, green split peas, lentils chickpeas and pearl barley.
20 servings Prep time: 45 minutes - 1hour
1 1lb. bag of Goya or any brand 16 bean medley soup mix
½ small, diced zucchini
Finely chopped cilantro for taste
Dressing (Double Batch)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
6 Tbsp = ¼ c 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Pinch of Kosher salt fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp of dry oregano or fresh
3 Tbsp Maple syrup
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp sugar
You can half the ingredients for a single batch of dressing
Soak beans for no more than 30 minutes in cold water, then rinse,
add beans to pot, add water just enough to fill the top of the beans.
Cook beans until tender, not mushy, when done then rise off all
juices in a strainer and to a bowl.
Dice zucchini into small chunks then add to the bowl.
Finely chop cilantro and add to the bowl. Add all the ingredients
for the dressing into a bowl with a lid or a mason jar and shake!
Pour the dressing into the bowl, lightly mix or fold all ingredients and refrigerate for 4 hours or more for best results.
*** To keep the pinto beans, black eyes, black beans and Northern
beans from creaming cook with lid either completely off or slightly
off the pot.
Crunchy Homemade Seasoned Tortilla Chips
1 pkg corn tortillas white or yellow
Vegetable oil or peanut oil
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Tbsp Onion powder
1 Tbsp Smoked paprika
1 large gallon size ziplock bag
- Heat oil in a large pot or cast-iron skillet over high heat to 375 degrees.
- Use a pizza cutter or a large sharp knife to cut corn tortillas into triangles.
- Gently add the triangles into the hot oil fry until they are crisp and golden brown and carefully lift them out onto a paper towel lined pan.
- Sprinkle salt on them while hot. In small bowl mix all spices, add a small portion of the mixed spices in the Ziplock bag and a handful of chips, seal and shake to fully coat chips. Repeat the process until all chips are coated.
- Keep the remaining chips in an airtight container to preserve freshness.